Monday, September 9, 2013

Sophomore Year!

Ahhhhh! My first week being a sophomore OVER! I swear, trying to get back into the swing of the things was a little hard: getting up early, living with 5 other people, going to class,etc. However, it's been very enjoyable.

Well, I'm taking a total of 5 classes - three being for my Fashion Merchandising major: Fashion Buying and Merchandising Principles, Introduction to Accounting, and Textile Evaluation. Some of you are probably thinking, "Accounting? What does that have to do with fashion?". Not a got damn thing. However, if you want to go more into the merchandising side of the industry, then it has a lot to do with it.

My Fashion Buying and Merchandising Principles class deals with mathematical concepts that are involved in profitable retail buying. When you're a buyer in the industry, you have to do so much math in order to stay on top of the merchandise! Thankfully, you just need to know the basics: adding, subtracting, division, and multiplying. However, you do need to know how to convert decimals, fractions, and percents into each other; don't worry,they'll will re-teach you these things! It's mostly not too bad haha.

Next, there is my Textile Evaluation class. We learn how to test textiles using standard techniques and methods. I think it is going to be a fun class because it's hands on - which is something I LOVE. And we get to set fabric on fire a.k.a. the coolest thing ever (safely, of course.)

Then there is Accounting...*cues funeral music*. I'm not going to even try and sugar coat this. You have to be mentally prepared for this class because it is ALOT of information to take in. It's not one of those classes you'll be able to slide by. My teacher emphasized on the amount of studying we have to do in order to just comprehend. However, I'm up for the challenge - especially since I need to pass this class in order to graduate, so yeah.

All in all, this semester is going to be good one. Thankfully, I have a great group of friends and good teacher. I'll keep you all posted on my process and even post pictures occasionally!!

xoxo,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment